Thank you for your interest in the new, monthly RSCVA Executive Update. This information will be posted here at RSCVA.com, following scheduled RSCVA Board of Directors meetings. It is designed to inform you of actions taken by the RSCVA Board which you may find relevant to your business and to our region and community. You’ll also discover additional news and updates that will be useful to you. Many thanks for your interest and continued dedication to our community and tourism industry.
RSCVA LAUNCHES A NEW BRAND
In May, the RSCVA launched a new destination brand to represent the Reno Tahoe region. This new brand features a redesigned logo, and a refreshed visual aesthetic providing a bold, playful take on the region’s offerings. The 14-month, $7.4 million campaign, largely funded by revenues from the room tax surcharge, includes an aggressive approach to new markets, Los Angeles and Seattle, as well as our traditional top market, the San Francisco Bay area. We will also continue our national presence via digital marketing.
RSCVA LEGISLATIVE WRAP-UP
Several bills pertinent to the interests of northern Nevada and the RSCVA passed in the Nevada State Legislature’s 2017 session. A few of those are:
- SB 413 — Relating to public lands, this bill establishes the last Saturday in September of each year as “Public Lands Day” in the State of Nevada. This bill further requires the Governor to issue annually a proclamation encouraging the observance of Public Lands Day.
- SB 187 — This bill calls for a financial appropriation for the establishment of a fine arts museum in Las Vegas, as well as the expansion of the Nevada Museum of Art in Reno. Each of these facilities is to receive $500,000.
- AB 431 — Pertaining to craft breweries, this bill enables local craft beer distilleries to increase and expand the level of their production for wholesale distribution.
RENO-TAHOE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT UPDATE
Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority (RTAA) President & CEO Marily Mora presented before the RSCVA Board to share new data points and notable highlights:
- The Reno-Tahoe International Airport (RTIA) currently services 23 nonstop airport destinations and hosts eight airlines
- The Reno-Tahoe International Airport is the 66th busiest commercial airport in the U.S.
- Each 737 flight brings nearly $100,000 in estimated economic impact to the region, per landing
- In 2016, the RTIA reported a 6.4% increase in passenger traffic over the prior year; this has now increased another 10% as of March 2017
Considering these statistics and a positive projected outlook, the RSCVA Board unanimously voted to approve an increase in the RSCVA’s financial support of the Regional Air Service Corporation (RASC), an organization formed by both public and private entities to serve the mutual desire of increasing air service to the Reno Tahoe area, from $100,000 to $150,000 per fiscal year.
In news from the RSCVA’s May meeting, the RSCVA appointed Lake Tahoe Visitors Authority President and CEO Carol Chaplin to represent the region’s tourism interests on the RTAA Board. Chaplin replaces previous RSCVA appointee Andy Wirth, president and CEO of Squaw Valley Ski Holdings.
FACILITY & PUBLIC SAFETY
After conducting an audit on current emergency management and response training, the RSCVA’s department of human resources identified opportunities to standardize and improve the organization’s emergency activation guidelines. The RSCVA Board approved a motion to adopt the National Incident Management System (NIMS) training and emergency response protocol aligning the organization’s current practices with a robust national standard best-suited to deal with emergent threats and maximize safety.
NEW HIRES IN RSCVA’S SALES DIVISION
The RSCVA is pleased to announce several new hires in our sales division, including Executive Director of Convention Sales – Western Region Hillary Burton, responsible for sales efforts throughout California and other western states; Morgan Edwards, who serves as the Corporate and Community Sales Manager, responsible for business development in northern Nevada; and Shaun Tracy, who will lead our new regional office in Atlanta as the national convention sales manager for the southeastern United States.
LONG-RANGE STRATEGIC PLAN
The RSCVA Board of Directors voted unanimously to extend the service contract of OnStrategy, the RSCVA’s long-range planning administrator.